List all SharePoint Farm servers and IPs

Not much to see here. I just had need of simply listing all the server names and IPs for all servers in a farm.

The script gets all SharePoint application servers in the farm. Then iterates through them and tests if they are live. The test-connection is simply to get the IP address of the server. The name of the server and the IP address are thrown into a custom object. Then the report is called.

 

Project: Exchange Upgrade Assistant

So a while back i started familiarizing myself with C#. I needed something relatively easy to do to get back into it. So I decided on an application that checks the status of exchange and the installed version. I thought it might be kinda nice to have something like that for Exchange patching so I know when a server is responding again after a reboot and if it’s reporting the correct version.

Yeah I know you can do the same thing with powershell and a ping command, but this was a learning experience for me.

The application is pretty simple. You run it on any domain joined machine in the same forest where exchange is installed. You can either click the Get Installed Version or Check status buttons to get all the exchange servers and their installed versions or also get the status respectively.

You don’t need to tell the app anything since it gets its server name and version information directly from the AD configuration.

ExchangeUpgradeAssistant

Since this was a learning experience I posted this to github in case anyone wants to take a look at the code. Keep in mind I’m a noob. :)

https://github.com/tupcakes/ExchangeUpgradeAssistant.git

Or you can download the exe directly from the releases.

 

 

Access denied to list object when using powershell remoting with SharePoint

I came across this one today. Take the following example:

When you run the $SPWeb.Lists you will probably get an access denied. it’s a little strange since the account I was running with was not only a farm admin but also had full control to the web app via the user policy.

Turns out that you need to grant the identity you are using access to the content DBs.

Now rerun the commands and it should work.

Windows Update error code 8024402F on Hyper-V guests

OK so this was a weird one. I updated my lab environment which runs on a Windows 8 Hyper-V install. I tried installing the pre-requirements for SharePoint 2013 but it kept failing. I then tried running Windows Update and got a code 8024402F. Everything that people were saying indicated that it was indicating a connection issue. Um, what? I can browse the web on this VM, why isn’t it windows update working? After some digging online I found a response to a post about a similar question.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Microsoft/Applications/Virtual_Server/Hyper-V/Q_26941221.html

The poster blamed the offloading settings on the broadcom NIC they were using. Mine is a realtek, however when I checked it did have offloading settings. I decided what the heck and disabled the following NIC adapter settings.

  • ARP offloading
  • Large send offloading
  • TCP checksum offloading
  • UDP checksum offloading

Example below:

Windows Update error code 8024402F on Hyper-V guests

 

After disabling the offloading features shown above, the SharePoint 2013 pre-requisite installer started actually working. One of those quirks of running a Hyper-V lab I guess.

Update: well I guess I was wrong on this. the issue started happening again. I’ll update the post when I find the resolution.

Update: Its been a while since I updated this but I was not able to find an easy solution with the existing setup. I ended up buying a dedicated NIC for the hyper-v guests. So the system has two, one for the guests and another dedicated for the OS.

SharePoint, Exchange and other things.

%d bloggers like this: